- "Do not believe that landscape design is only about making gardens. Instead, try and fathom that it’s about making a world - and influencing it since all space outside the built is the theatre of the landscape architect. It includes the streets, the play grounds, the gardens and also the country side, the forest and the hills.
- Do not believe that landscape design is not intellectually challenging. In fact, the best works are those that are philosophical, delve in the abstract, border on the realm of the arts, and are lucid and structured so that people can occupy them and use them. In many parts of the world in history, it’s good to remember that landscape architecture was considered the mother of all arts- above architecture and the other arts." Ar. Aniket Bhagwat
- Why Greenstone
- Dementia sensory gardens
- International School grounds design - AAS Moscow
- Natural play in Early Years - North Islington
- Sensory play gardens - Hickory House
- Special needs schools - sensory play
- Sensory gardens for mental health - residential care village Norwood
- Stressed execs - residential sensory gardens
- Outdoor classrooms and community gardens
- Eco resorts - Portugal, Malaysia
- Publications I Press
I came across this in an Indian art in design forum. It is true of landscape architecture everywhere.
Greenstone Design UK Ltd, specialises in the design and development of sustainable landscapes, for schools, adventure playgrounds, hotels and hospitals, housing estates and private residences. We work around the world, wherever projects take us.
Our mission is to make the world a better place through design, so we accept commissions wherever we feel we can make a difference, environmentally and socially, and where appropriate, to a business’s bottom line.
Originally from New Zealand, I have lived in and learned from a variety of countries around the world. While living in Malaysia I was asked to design the grounds of the 50 acre Shangri-La group’s eco hotel in Sabah, Borneo. Netted butterfly café, viewing panels into the sea from decks around the beach bar, outdoor spas, were among features included to make the grounds pay for themselves.
In Portugal I designed the 8ha. grounds of Europe’s first disabled children’s hotel. Sensory gardens there include a wildlife petting zoo as well as kitchen gardens for guests to work in and profit from.
In Surrey, England, we designed 2 acre community gardens for a local food growing initiative. The gardens include inclusive full–height raised beds, a communal BBQ and children’s play area, wildlife pond, forest-garden shelter planting.
For the National Spinal Injuries Centre UK, we designed a low cost, low maintenace rehab garden. Numerous school projects have seen outdoor learning environments, roof gardens, rainwater harvesting, natural play, growing areas and proactively managed grounds develop the school site as an educational and community asset.
Residential Islamic paradise gardens, country house gardens, town house courtyard and roof gardens in counties, climates and cultures as diverse as UK, Singapore, India, France, Mexico, and NZ have all received the 'Greenstone touch'.
We believe that too often the grounds of a house, hotel, hospital or school are just there 'as a backdrop’ and do nothing positive to aid learning opportunities, fun, fantasy or bio-diversity, reduce the effect of urban heat islands and urban runoff, mitigate climate change, and ultimately bring sustainable communities together. We are keenly aware of the positive role of landscape in treating a variety of health conditions.
Our team is small, with hand-picked experienced landscape architects, garden designers, interior architects and CAD technicians. We have developed trusted relationships with land and quantity surveyors, a health and safety advisor, soil scientists, hydrologists and engineers.
Costs vary. Projects start from around $20,000. The design fee is a small portion of that. If you are interested in how we might work together please do get in touch.
Gayle Souter-Brown founded Greenstone Design in UK in 2006, serving Europe, Africa, Asia, South and North America. Since 2012 the expanding team is delighted to offer the same salutogenic landscape architecture + design practice also from NZ, giving a truly global reach.
> planting plansresorts
> community gardens
> gardens for health
> urban design
> air quality
> inclusive play
> sustainable playgrounds
> special needs
> school grounds design
> inset day & CPD training
social & therapeutic
> sensory gardens
> wellness gardens
Greenstone Design UK Ltd is registered in England & Wales No.06944998.
Registered Office: Alderbrook, Abinger Hammer, Surrey RH5 6SA UK.
VAT registration No 976 3017 05
Corporate Social Responsibility | Diversity & Equality | Environmental Policy
Quality Management Statement
© Greenstone Design UK Limited 2001-2020 All rights Reserved
Based on the Surrey-Hampshire border we work locally, nationally and internationally to advise and design gardens for health and well-being